Friday, February 26, 2010

MACs ... really? An honest question from the other side.

I am a PC user … and I poke fun at the MAC Cult. I tease the ridiculous price of a new MAC computer, tease the unnecessary IPAD, complain about the difficult print options on the IMAC in our office, and I laugh at the ridiculous price of the MACbook and its aluminum chasis (who says “chasis” anyway?!).
And yet, I confess that I often wonder if I am the one missing out.
I know that somehow Steve Jobs has made computers sexy and that the image of the company is something attractive to everyone. Can someone HONESTLY tell me … is the price only worth it for the image? Or is it really that much better of a machine?

3 comments:

Scoop said...

honestly, i think that, yes, mac has made a very sleek and sophisticated machine. as you said, a "sexy" computer. some of the price is tied up on the presentation (i.e. the ridiculously suave and textured boxes that the iphone and ipod touch come in). But honestly, as one who used to be a PC user and used to HATE mac with a passion, i must say that the overall experience of using a mac is so much better. the software is better, the operating system is better (than XP and Vista...i have not used Windows7), and the kicker for me is the Customer Service. when i call tech support i get an english speaking person who is answering a phone in TX, not India. when i need a problem fixed i can take my ipod, or macbook into any apple store (regardless of where i purchased it) and they will troubleshoot it and fix it.
In short, yes, it is definitely worth it. for what you get in a mac machine: software, OS, Tech support, compatibility with other software and devices, less hardware problems, no viruses...etc, there is no comparable PC equivalent on the market yet. With Mac i think you definitely get what you pay for.

skim milk said...

I've used macs at home and PCs at school. I prefer mac all the way. Like scott said, tech support, software, and OS are better. On top of that, getting internet set up, getting software updates, and plugging in hardware devices are all hands down much easier. The software for pics/video/music is unrivaled. And downloading stuff off the internet is not a hassle and I never deal with viruses. Ever. SO yea. Mac all the way!

skim milk

Tim Taylor said...

Let's just say, "your life will never be the same" if you get a mac.