Saturday, May 15, 2010

Atticus Cai


Today God brought life into the world.

He did so very quickly.

Adriana woke me up by telling me that our "Alarm Clock" had broken. Never being found of our alarm clock, I did not care or react. After telling me this same information again and noticing my indifference, she communicated more intelligibly and intensely, "MY WATER JUST BROKE". This was at 7:11am, as told to us by our still functioning alarm clock.

Adriana, then began to make sure that her parents knew what they were to do when we headed off to the hospital to have a kid. She called Bethany Keena and let her know that we would be missing our graduation. She made a list of things for her mom to clean. She had breakfast. Eggs and strawberries. We are hypnobirthers (this natural birth class we attended) and as such tried we to remain calm and at home for the long early stages of labor.

Problem: There were no early stages of this labor.

After a bath and listening to the birth CD, Adriana's discomfort began to elevate. We decided it was time to saunter on over to the hospital. But, lest you have forgotten, we are hypnobirthers and decided to take our hippy time. I had the church van key left in my pocket (huge surprise), and so I made sure to run that over to the office along with some other things necessary for church tomorrow.

On the way to the hospital things began to warm up. Dad was fine, as I pointed out how nice the day was and noticed all the joggers on Sheridan road, speaking calmly to my laboring bride believing that we were beginning a journey that would take all day if not longer. Mom was starting to feel more pressure.

We arrived in the hospital, and I went in to go get somebody to help. I had a couple of jokes for the nurses. I felt okay about them, but I could have been funnier. We eventually got her into a wheelchair and brought her in. Calmly.

After all, we are hypnobirthers. We have all day.

Actually, we had 8 minutes.

The nurse checked us upon arrival, and then came the fury. The comments "that's his head" and "I need a doctor in here" are among the few I can remember. We were tossed on a random bed in an overflow space. A doctor and 2 nurses came in and then after push! push! push! we were staring at our first child.

Atticus Cai was born at 9:12am, sporting a hefty 7 pounds 11 ounces in his 20.5 inch frame. He has thick black hair and giant hands, which we are guessing are from his mom's side.

Now, I sit here and look at the sunset from our postpartum room. I sit near my bride and my resting, healthy and exceedingly hairy son. I am caught up by true beauty. God has been so profoundly kind. I would have to cut out too many of my jokes to tell you all the answers to prayer that we have seen today. In short, our birth process and the health of our son, and the timing of his arrival are marks of God's true provision over our family. As I sit here, I cannot but acknowledge a miraculous God.

The comments and texts and calls and visits have been overwhelming. We are really loved. Our friends and family are taking care of us and my feelings are inundated with all of your responses, prayers, gifts and support over these months, culminating today.

Thanks, Jesus. You did a beautiful thing today. Help us love our child well.

5 comments:

Becky said...

He is beautiful! Nothing to worry about, guys! Can't wait to meet him. (Do you notice how obsessed I am with this? I'm contacting you every way possible. Phone, email, facebook, and now the blog. Goodness.) Looking forward to tomorrow!
Praying for some sleep for you all tonight!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Welcoming baby Atticus Cai!

Tracey Lynne said...

I love him! Love the story too...
Go Audi!!!!!

Phyllis said...

He's a beautiful baby. Congratulations, Ben & Audi. Can't wait to see him in person! Love,
Mrs. Wallin

Sara Kohler said...

Congrats Audi and Ben!!! We are all so happy for you and looking forward to meeting the newest member of the Willey family :)